Soft, tender, oh-so-flaky biscuits the whole family will love! Wtih crisp bacon and maple syrup, what could be better, right?
45 minutes25 minutes
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Drain excess fat; transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large bowl, combine bacon, flour, cheese, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Grate butter using the large holes of a box grater. Stir into the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and 4 tablespoons maple syrup. Add to the flour mixture and stir using a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 1 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut out 12 rounds using a 2 to 2 1/2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet; place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove biscuits from freezer. Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup and butter.
- Serve biscuits warm, brushed with the maple-butter mixture.