Guaranteed to be everyone’s favorite side dish, for dinners or holidays! So amazingly rich, creamy, buttery and completely addictive!
20 minutes1 hour
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot or Dutch oven; cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9 x 13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken stock and heavy cream. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 cup white cheddar cheese and mustard. Stir in potatoes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Place into oven and bake until potatoes are tender and mixture has thickened, about 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/4 cups white cheddar cheese. Place into oven and broil until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chives, if desired.